Sunday, December 7, 2008

Krakow- 9.28-10.3


Rather than spending a lot of money to make our way back to Serbia and Romania, we decided to go to Krakow for a few days. We went to the train station to buy our overnight tickets only to find out that it was too late to make a reservation. We were told to go to the train station, wait for the train and ask the conductor if there was any room.

We waited for the train, ready to run and find the conductor as quickly as possible since the train only stopped for 10 minutes. After a lot of running back and forth because the train was divided into three parts, each part going to a different city, we finally found the part of the train going to Krakow. I then had to rely on my poor Polish skills to bribe the guy into letting us on the train. They kept asking for zloty which we didn’t have because we were in Germany. I eventually got the message across that we had a lot of Euro. So we gave him money (which he pocketed of course- you can still bribe the train personnel in Eastern Europe) and he set us up with our very own private cabin. I would have liked to brag about my stellar bribing skills, however, I think we ended up paying more than he was actually trying to get out of us. Polish numbers above 50 are a bit hazy to me. Overall, we still ended up spending 20 euro less, each. So everyone won.

It was so good to be back in Krakow! I took Amanda up to where I went to school- meaning I made her hike up the huge hill :) At least there wasn’t snow. She had it easy. We also got to meet up with my friend Sebastian who is now going to med school in Krakow. It was fun to reminisce about my time studying abroad. He reminded me of stories that I apparently blocked out of my memory (for good reason). He kept mentioning “Don’t eat the sugar” and laughing and I couldn’t figure out for the life of me what he was talking about so I finally asked him. Apparently we were out one night and I was eating sugar out of the sugar bowl. Just spooning it up and pouring it in my mouth. This was extremely embarrassing news to find out (please do not ever let me eat sugar out of a sugar bowl.) After awhile I started not feeling so great. Someone decided to investigate the sugar bowl. Rumor has it that the sugar bowl smelled like vomit…. And I hadn’t thrown up. I question the validity of this part of the story as sugar bowls are usually pretty small and not big enough to throw up in. That plus the fact you think I would have seen the vomit or the sugar would have been lumpy. Regardless, being told that I ate sugar out of a bowl like a three year old was bad enough and I hope that I never get caught doing that again.

No comments: